Candidate Name: Zoe Dunning

As a proud Democrat, I am a steadfast advocate for social change. Our party’s core values resonate deeply with me, and I want to continue playing a leadership role in embedding those values throughout our city, our state, and our nation.

One of our values is equality and standing up and speaking out against injustice. I have spoken out against injustice by working to break down barriers impacting underserved communities, such as the LGBTQ community. I challenged the military’s policies prohibiting gays from serving, and publicly came out as a lesbian naval officer and took a leadership role in working to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.  In 2010, I was recognized for this and given the honor of standing next to President Obama when he signed the repeal of DADT.  In 2011, I was awarded Woman of the Year in Senate District 8 for my commitment to the LGBT, women’s, and veterans’ communities.

I served for 22 years in the Navy and Navy Reserves and was also a leader of Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, which set the groundwork for opening up military service for LGBT service members. As Co-Chair of Alice, I worked closely with candidates and elected officials to help communicate the wishes and desires of the LGBT community.

I am devoted to continually addressing social, political, and economic inequalities in San Francisco. Social Justice is near and dear to my heart, as evidenced by my work on the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. No one is free until we are all free. If I am re-elected, I pledge to continue my work as an advocate for the people of our city and as a leader in building a more just society.
  • 1st Vice Chair of the SF DCCC, unanimously elected by my peers
  • Chair, SF DCCC Finance Committee, helping to raise the money necessary for a strong local party
  • Co-Vice Chair, CA Democratic Party’s LGBT Caucus
  • Member, CA Democratic Party’s Finance Committee
  • Immediate Past Co-Chair, Alice B. Toklas LGBT Democratic Club
  • Former 2nd Vice Chair, CA Democratic Party’s Veterans Caucus
I would be honored to have the Noe Valley Democratic Club’s endorsement for my campaign.


Lastly, I currently serve or have recently served in a number of party leadership positions:
In addition to these roles in the Democratic Party, I also serve on the San Francisco Library Commission.